Emeline Michel, Haiti
Kenge Kenge, Kenya
Rahim AlHaj and Little Earth Orchestra, Iraq/Albuquerque, NM
Non Stop Bhangra, India/San Francisco, CA
I have missed the last few years of this festival due to my absence from Albuquerque and was excited when I did not have go another year without experiencing Globalquerque. From the program: "Globalquerque 2010 presents a potpourri of unique and compelling artists from many corners of the planet including Kenya, Peru, Norway, India, Iraq, Portugal, Brazil, Palestine, Mali, Basque Spain, Mexico, the Mohican and Zuni Nations, USA, and of course, New Mexico." I only attended one night of the two-day music extravaganza, but it was enough to make me want to keep coming for years. My favorites of the evening were Kenge Kenge, and a hip-hop/reggae group called Non Stop Bhangra. Not surprisingly I saw a lot of people I know, many from the African dance crowd.
No comments:
Post a Comment