September 10, 2015

Four Corners Folk Festival



My first summer music festival experience was the Telluride Bluegrass Festival sometime around age five. Since then I've gone to a festival almost every summer: The Silverton Jubilee, RockyGrass, and most recently the Four Corners Folk Festival which I've attended annually since 2010. I learned to hula hoop at these festivals and eventually got into making my own hoops and bringing them along to dance with. What I love about them is the intimacy and sense of community: as I wrote in a previous post, "There is something magical in the air during these three day events, whether it is being in the presence of so many talented musicians, dancing and hula hooping under the stars, or walking through the campground listening to late-night jam sessions." They aren't overwhelming like SXSW or Bonnaroo can be. It rained nearly all day for two of the three days we were there, but it didn't stop anyone from being outdoors and even dancing during the heaviest downpour on Saturday night. The headliner that evening invited everyone who was outside the tent to come up and sit on stage with them. Some of my favorite new discoveries from this year's festival: Eddie From Ohio, I'm With Her (Sara Watkins, Sarah Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan), Ruth Moody Band, and The Novel Ideas.




No comments: