May 10, 2011

Chaco Canyon


Last weekend  I ventured to Chaco Canyon for my first camping trip of the season. Despite living in New Mexico nearly my entire life, I had never been to this incredible complex of ancient Puebloan ruins. What I find most fascinating is their deep connection and attention to the patterns of the Earth, the sky, the seasons, each other, and other surrounding complexes in the region. The Chacoans positioned and built their Great Houses in acute alignment with these natural rhythms.  I was reminded of my trip to Machu Picchu and how similar these ancient cultures are to one another in terms of their spirituality, building practices, and deep connection to humanity. I thoroughly enjoyed being unplugged for the weekend. It is interesting how we go to the outdoors to "disconnect," yet we end up discovering how to reconnect with ourselves and the world. It was a much needed break in the midst of an increasingly busy schedule. 











No comments: